The original 28- acre property, bisected by Howard lane, was forest land when it was purchased by Bernard and MaryEllen Smith in 1978. They began renovating the home that was built in 1796 by two Windsor brothers. In 1990, they remodeled the entire home more extensively while preserving the original 6 fireplaces including a beehive oven. They also added 6 feet to the western ell off of the kitchen.
In the 1980's the timber was harvested and land cleared to establish Harmony Farms. Irrigation ponds were dug to provide water for all of the new fields, and are still used in the drip irrigation system that reduces water use, by efficiently concentrating the water near the roots of the plant. The Smiths established four fields of blueberries totaling 6 acres, 3 acres of apples on a "y"-trellis system, blackberries, raspberries and peach trees. The farm flourished and has produced plentiful sweet fruit for more than 30 years.
In 2017, the Smiths, sold a portion of their farm to Gil and Sandie Barden. The Bardens operate their home farm on Elmdale Road as well as Harmony Farms. They strive to maintain the legacy of growing high quality fruits and vegetables that the Smiths began over 30 years ago, and Gil's grandfather, John Barden began in 1931.