At first, Haines State Park consisted of two picnic groves, but later ball fields were added for baseball and other sports of the day. During the Depression of the 1930s, the Civilian Conservation Corps, which was at work in other parks across Rhode Island, built fire places and sculpted turf away from the beach to enhance it for bathers. A pedestrian footbridge connected Haines with nearby Crescent Park until it was swept away in the ’38 Hurricane. A bath house was added in 1940. More recent developments have made it a stop on the East Bay Bike Path and in 2002 it became the site of a seasonal farmer’s market.
Haines State Park features a handicap accessible boat ramp, restrooms, and game fields which are available for rent through the town of Barrington at (401)-247-1925.